Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Will students benefit from many eye balls on their work?

I received a comment on my last post that brought up the possibility of 4chan users ruining the student's experience when professionals offer advice and even grading. My first thought was that people said the same thing about Wikipedia (and still do!) but I don't see too many pages on Wikipedia vandalized. Lots of users will help end vandalism.

Perhaps the solution would be for prospective editors to give an online interview as to their intentions? Users would have to apply for a position as a grader. As stupid as it sounds, I'm proud of my contributions to reddit and my karma. People would be proud of their contributions to this site (let's call it "Modern Pedagogy") and any trolls would be deleted.

I suppose the more eye-balls that would see the comments the less chance that any truly damaging comments could get through.

Parents may be wary of any mean comments though and I can't imagine any school system getting behind any "open source" education ideas.

30 seats, 30 desks. Take out your notebook and shut up.

No comments: